Install, dismantle, or move machinery and heavy equipment according to layout plans, blueprints, or other drawings.
Salary: $34,000 – $70,000
Education: Community College/On-the-Job Training
- Insert shims, adjust tension on nuts and bolts, or position parts, using hand tools and measuring instruments, to set specified clearances between moving and stationary parts.
- Level bedplate and establish centerline, using straightedge, levels, and transit.
- Align machines or equipment, using hoists, jacks, hand tools, squares, rules, micrometers, lasers, or plumb bobs.
- Assemble and install equipment, using hand tools and power tools.
- Signal crane operator to lower basic assembly units to bedplate, and align unit to centerline.
*This list of tasks may not encompass all tasks that may be applicable to this job.
Operation Monitoring — Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
Equipment Maintenance — Performing routine maintenance on equipment and determining when and what kind of maintenance is needed.
Installation — Installing equipment, machines, wiring, or programs to meet specifications.
Critical Thinking — Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Repairing — Repairing machines or systems using the needed tools.
*This list of skills may not encompass all skills that may be applicable to this job.
Mechanical — Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
Mathematics — Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
Design — Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
Building and Construction — Knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of houses, buildings, or other structures such as highways and roads.
English Language — Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
*This list of knowledge may not encompass all education that may be applicable to this job.
See how this career’s salary aligns with your lifestyle.
Learn more about this career and more below.